Enrollment is easy! If you’re a PERSI member and contributing to the PERSI Base Plan or an active member of the Judges’ Retirement Fund, you automatically have a Choice 401(k) Plan account set up for you. You can contribute to your account at any time. Whether you’re just starting your career or nearing retirement, it’s never too early nor too late to start saving for retirement.
Ready to start contributing to your Choice 401(k) Plan account? Here are some options:
- Paycheck contributions – contributions are pre-tax, so you have automatic savings on income taxes. You decide how much to contribute to your account. You can start, change, or stop contributions at any time. Just complete the Paycheck Contribution Election form and give it to your employer’s payroll department.
- Getting a leave payout? You can defer that into your account as well, saving on income taxes, up to annual IRS contribution limits.
- Rollover contributions – have pre-tax retirement plan savings in another account, such as a prior employer’s plan or a pre-tax IRA? You can roll those funds into your Choice 401(k) Plan account.
- Complete the Incoming Rollover Request form, attach a copy of a recent statement from the other plan, and send it to Empower. Once Empower approves the request, they’ll send you a confirmation. Get with the other plan to request to have the funds sent to Empower, using the payment instructions on the confirmation.
- Employer contributions – a few PERSI employers contribute to the Choice 401(k) Plan on behalf of its employers. Check with your employer to see if that’s available.
New contributors! If you’re new to the PERSI Choice 401(k) Plan, you’re eligible to take advantage of a 12-month fee holiday. That starts when the first contribution is posted to your account. During that time, the monthly record keeping and administrative fees will not be charged to your account. You will still pay investment management fees; each fund has its own operating expense. After 12 months, the monthly fees will start being deducted at your respective tier.
- To review or update your Choice Plan beneficiary designations, login to your Choice Plan account at mypersi401k.com or download the form (link below), print it, and mail it to the address listed on the form.
- PERSI Base Plan – Choice 401(k) Plan Comparison Chart – Compares the similarities and differences of the plans.
- Choice 401(k) Plan Basics – Learn the basics of the plan.
- Investments and Fees – Find out about the investment fund options and fees.
- Loans and Withdrawals – Details on taking a loan or withdrawal.
- Managing Your Account – How to manage your account (via phone or online).
- Choice 401(k) Plan Beneficiary Form – Make beneficiary designations using this form or by logging into your Choice Plan account.
- Choice 401(k) Plan Legal Document
Access your account by logging into it via your myPERSI account and linking to your Choice 401(k) Plan account, going directly to the Choice 401(k) Plan website, or by calling Empower at 866-437-3774.